Saturday, January 25, 2014

Have You Sustained A Work Related Knee Injury? Then Hire One Of Minnesota's Superlawyers!

I have handled hundreds of cases involving work related knee injuries ranging from a sprain to a total knee replacement.  Knee injuries can result from cumulative trauma over time or following a specific injury.   An employee need only prove ONE of the following three; your work caused, aggravate OR accelerated your knee injury.

When you sustain a knee injury, you damage one of the four major ligaments found in your knee.  The most common injury I see is torn cartilage, also known as your meniscus.  More serious injuries involve medial collateral ligament (MCL), the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), and less often the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL).
  • ACL injury
    Usually occurs while changing direction rapidly.
  • MCL injury
    Injuries to the MCL are usually caused by a direct blow to the outside of the knee.
  • PCL injury
    The PCL is often injured when a worker receives a blow to the front of the knee or makes a simple misstep.
  • Torn cartilage
    When people talk about torn knee cartilage, they are usually referring to a torn meniscus. The meniscus is a tough, rubbery cartilage that is attached to the knee's ligaments. The meniscus usually tears due to sudden twisting, jumping, or trauma to the knee.  Physical contact is often involved. 
If you sustain a work related knee injury, the attorneys at Atkinson Law Office are waiting to assist you.  Our firm limits their practice to handling Minnesota workers compensation injuries and have over 20 years doing the same.  Let our former insurance company attorneys show you the secrets we have learned.  Call today at 651-333-3636.  We represent clients all over Minnesota.  Your consultation is free and there is never a fee until we recover benefits for you.

Friday, January 3, 2014

I Had A Minnesota Work Related Back and Neck Injury, What Do I Tell My Doctor?

This article is prompted by a phone call I received this afternoon from an existing client with a hand injury who now sustained a more serious back injury a year later.  She was concerned about filing "another work injury" and is hoping her back gets better and she doesn't want to report it to work despite missing a week of work.

She is well intentioned but is making an enormous mistake that I have seen countless times.  If you have a work injury that results in lost time from work or you need to seek medical care then you MUST report it.  It's the law.  Your employer must complete a First Report of Injury because that's the law.  Why is this the law?  To protect YOU the injured worker when the employer later tries to deny the injury or minimize it.  It's true that most back injuries resolve shortly after the incident on there own with simple rest, ice, and core strengthening.  But there are times when it doesn't and this action or inaction will greatly hurt your chances for fair treatment by the employer, insurance company and adverse doctors.

When you first see your health care provider, you will be asked questions about your back pain, including how severe it is, how it happened and where it happened.  Tell the doctor clearly and repeatedly where it happened and how it happened. 

Your doctor or chiropractor will try to determine the cause of your back pain and how to best treat it.  The pain will likely get better with simple measures such as ice, medication, physical therapy, and  exercises.  However, some symptoms such as radicular pain down your arms or legs can be immediate signs of a far more serious injury.  Your doctor may order an X-ray, CT Scan, MRI or an EMG to rule out a more serious injury.  This is an excellent time to call a lawyer for a free consultation. 

Please, if you have sustained a neck or back injury at work, tell your supervisor and then see a doctor.  Don't assume your doctor knows you had a work injury.  Tell them directly, don't assume the nurse or intake assistant clearly advised them of the nature of your injury.  Be your own advocate.

If you have sustained a Minnesota work related injury contact attorney Tom Atkinson or Kerry Atkinson today.  Atkinson Law Office and Minnesota Disability have a staff dedicated to assisting Minnesota work injuries.  Kerry and Tom have been working with Minnesota work injuries for over 20 years.  Both Tom and Kerry formerly represented employers and insurers but now only represent employees!  We are waiting to share the secrets they have learned to assist you to win your case.  There is never a fee collected to meet with them nor a fee paid unless there is a recovery.  Your initial consultation is always free as well.  Call today 651-333-3636 and visit our website 

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

You Are Employed By A Minnesota Employer And You Were Hurt At Work. What Should You Do?

We get this question almost every week.  One of the many concerns employee's have is that they will be considered a "traitor" or no longer a "team player".  Some employees even worry that they could be terminated for reporting a work injury.

If you have suffered a work injury DO NOT give in to the pressure.  You may think the injury will pass so as directed by the supervisor you tell the ER or doctor that the injury happened at home and in exchange the employer promises to cover all your medical bills.  Well that is illegal AND as soon as the condition becomes worse the employer no had documented proof that the injury did not happen at work and you and your doctor are the witnesses.  Please don't lie for your employer.  I have seen so many employees burned by this trick. 

Report the injury to your supervisor, human resources and/or the safety director.  I prefer emails as they create evidence of the notice of injury.   If you need to seek emergency medical attention do that first, but then contact your employer as soon as possible. It's important that you document the nature and extent of your injuries and how the injury occurred.  If there was no "specific injury" be sure to describe you work activity in the days, hours and moments before you notice the symptoms.  If your employer will not complete a First Report of Injury (FROI) form, the attorneys and paralegals at Atkinson Law Office and Minnesota Disability are happy to assist you for FREE.  We can provide you with the proper form, assist you in completing it and then file it with with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.  Feel free to contact us at 651-333-3636 and visit us at our website   There is never a fee to meet with us and we only collect a fee if benefits are recovered for you.