Sunday, October 16, 2011

Minnesota Workers Compensation Benefits - Part One

1. What happens when I get injured at my job?

Tell your employer immediately. Be sure to report your injury to your supervisor. If you need to seek emergency medical attention do that first, but then contact your employer as soon as possible. Your employer will complete a First Report of Injury (FROI) form, so be sure to give your employer accurate and complete information about how you were hurt and about any injuries you sustained.  Do NOT give a recorded statement.  After you seek medial attention NOW is the time to get your free legal consultation with Minnesota Disability

2. What types of injuries are covered by workers' compensation?

A work-related injury can be any condition that is caused, aggravated or accelerated by employment activities.  This means pre-existing injuries that your work activities aggravate or accelerate are still work comp injuries.  This is one of the most common mistakes made by injured workers.  This includes traumatic injuries, gradual injuries or occupational diseases.

3. What benefits might I be entitled to if my claim is accepted?

Some benefits you might receive include wage-loss benefits, compensation for loss of use of a part of the body, medical benefits, vocational rehabilitation and retraining.  At some point in your injury you will be set up to meet with a QRC (qualified rehabilitation counselor).  This is another excellent time to get your free consultation with Minnesota Disability.  Choosing the right QRC who is actually neutral is critical to your claim.  We can help you in selecting one who best fits your injury, location and you needs.  One size does NOT fit all.

4. What medical treatment is covered by workers' compensation?

The Minnesota workers' compensation statutes entitle an employee to reasonable and necessary medical treatment or supplies to cure or relieve the effect of the work injury. The employer is required to furnish medical treatment as described by Minnesota Statutes 176.135, subd. 1, including psychological, chiropractic, podiatric, surgical and hospital treatment.

5. Can I treat with my own physician?

Employees may choose their health care provider for treatment of a work-related injury. An employer may require an employee to see a designated health care provider for treatment in only a few unique and special circumstances.   Do NOT be intimidated by your employer!  At Minnesota we strongly encourage injured employees to seek immediate medial attention with their established family physician rather than being directed by their employer or workers compensation insurer.  Please contact Minnesota Disability and Atkinson Law Office to determine whether one of the few exceptions applies to your case.