Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How To Choose The Best Minnesota Workers Compensation Attorney For You? I'll Tell You How For Free!

I have specialized in Minnesota workers compensation for nearly a quarter century.  When I began, injured workers found lawyers by word of mouth, family friends and the yellow pages.  How times have changed.  Now injured workers are tech savvy.  Whether you live in a town in the Northwest Angle of Minnesota or in Minneapolis, most people turn to their smartphones or computer to search for a lawyer on Google.  Clients who come to see me are usually far more informed than they were just 10 years ago.  What a difference a decade has made.

The purpose of this blog is to WARN YOU that there are lawyers and law firms out there that at a minimum exaggerate and others that I believe lie in their internet advertising.  They use terms like "the largest and most respected workers compensation law firm in Minnesota" or claim they have a "depth of experience".  The claims make me laugh at first and then make me very, very angry.  The reason is that YOU the injured worker will pay the same fee whether you hire a lawyer with 2-3 years experience as you do with 25 years experience.  I will tell you that I'm an excellent lawyer who has won many awards and frequently lectures on workers compensation throughout Minnesota.  However, there are other lawyers who are equally as good as I am...not many but I'm not alone.  You have to find the lawyer who is a good fit for you and I have always offered to give prospective clients the names of two additional lawyers outside of my firm to speak to after our initial meeting.  I do this freely and without hesitation.  It's not a gimmick.  I want you only if you want me.  We must fit.

What concerns me more is that you the injured worker will end up a a law firm that is a "mill" and churns and burns files without really having an understanding of Minnesota work comp.  Though a few law firms come to mind, you have to do your research and ask just a few questions.  The most important questions are as follows:  Does you firm EXCLUSIVELY practice in the area of Minnesota Workers Compensation.  That will narrow the list of 75 law firms in Minnesota down to just a handful.  Next ask do YOU THE LAWYER personally have more than 20 years of experience limited to Minnesota workers compensation.  You can now count the law firms on one hand.  These are the law firms you should be meeting with.  These are the ONLY law firms you should be meeting with.  If they do personal injury, car accidents, etc. they do not specialize in Minnesota workers compensation.  They specialize in general personal injury which is very, very different.

I'm personally at the Minnesota Office of Administrative Hearings or Minnesota Department of Labor on workers compensation matters 2-3 times every single week of the year.  I know every judge and every defense lawyer by name and they know me.  I have tried cases before every single workers compensation judge in the Twin Cities, most dozens of times.  Ask others if they can say the same.  Ask these tough questions and I can assure you that you will find the best lawyer for you.

At Atkinson Law Office we are all former insurance company lawyers with decades of experience handling Minnesota Workers Compensation Cases.  Both Kerry and Tom Atkinson had there first workers compensation hearings in 1993 the year they graduated from law school here in Minnesota. We will show you the secrets insurance companies don't want you to know.   Call us today for a free consultation.  There is never, ever a fee unless we recover benefits for you.  You will never be asked to pay us with a retainer check to handle your dispute.  Call 651-333-3636 today!  Visit us at Atkinson Law Office.