Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Don't Live In Minnesota But Was Injured In Minnesota While Working For An Out of State Employer. Do I Have A Minnesota Work Comp Case?

YES! I represent many clients whose only connection to Minnesota is the unfortunate fact that they were injured here. I have represented truck drivers, roofers, and even insurance adjusters who were injured while working for out of state employers while performing their jobs in Minnesota. Without exception if you were injured while in MINNESOTA you are entitled to Minnesota Workers Compensation benefits. Though you may have the choice to elect another jurisdiction, there are very few jurisdictions which provide comparable benefits to Minnesota.

Conversely, if you are a Minnesota resident working for a Minnesota company outside of Minnesota you may also be entitled to Minnesota Work Comp benefits even if your injury occurred across the globe! The court will look at the following criteria:

Extraterritorial Application. If an employee who regularly performs the primary duties of employment within this state receives an injury while outside of this state in the employ of the same employer, the provisions of this chapter shall apply to such injury. If a resident of this state is transferred outside the territorial limits of the United States as an employee of a Minnesota employer, the resident shall be presumed to be temporarily employed outside of this state while so employed.
Temporary employment outside Minnesota. If an employee hired in this state by a Minnesota employer, receives an injury while temporarily employed outside of this state, such injury shall be subject to the provisions of this chapter.

It is important to note that even if you have already initiated a claim for workers compensation benefits in another state you still may be able to pursue a claim in Minnesota courts for benefits. Contact an experienced workers compensation attorney such as myself, Thomas Atkinson at 651-333-3636 or visit my website TODAY. www.mndisability.com I look forward to discussing your case.